Reminiscence and participation – comments page

• 85

Reminiscence and participation – comments page

Category : Talking About Lidos

Comments and Participation

reminiscences - bathing belles - image

Kingfisher Prints Essex England agj collection enlarge +

A comment of three words or three paragraphs will add a bonus to the site and will be very welcome.

We all must have memories,  good and bad, of our days at the lido.  Any reminiscences of funny escapades will be amusing to relive I’m sure. Also the embarrassing moments when water laden woolly bathers are left behind and sinking as the swimmer gained pace!
The jam sandwiches,  the flasks of tea, jam sponge and ice creams all add to the excitement of a day out at the lido.
Of course most of the lidos in their heyday were unheated relying on sunshine which….always seemed to be part of lovely days spent at the lido. But…when the sun rested behind stormy clouds boy oh boy it was C-O-L-D. Today of course this brrrh of a reminiscence wouldn’t be out of place as the emphasis is very much on cold water swimming.  Trips to the med. have been substituted by trips to icelandic areas,  added to which one stays in a nice cosy  ice hotel!
If you find lidos or baths have not been covered on this site  “missing lidos” please give a mention and add your information. Others may be jogged into adding more. I will add that the website will be updated as best as possible. If I need correcting where I may have “got it wrong” – please don’t hesitate to let me know.

If you prefer to email me (anne@so-dive-in.co.uk)  additional information rather than use the daunting comments box system please do and I will transfer.  (It’s all secure and your email is kept between you and I only)
Whilst on this note I have “closed” my index of Lidos on the site.
I’d prefer you to visit the “join up” page where you will get full access to the listed lidos in the index in the sidebar, also you will be able to add and discuss your memories on any of the lidos at the end of the appropriate lido pages. These and recent comments will be seen in the sidebar, and will only be visible to users (logged in) members of the site.
Meanwhile here are just a few of previous comments from visitors.

Finally I don’t want to present myself, or this website,  and especially all these lovely past lidos,  in a clinical fashion.    Goodness this would contradict the fun of it all!

85 Comments

Philip Vaughan re Arthur Hill Memorial Baths

January 24, 2017 at 5:46 pm

via email Hello Anne
You will be aware from my occasional press releases, copied to you, that the Arthur Hill Memorial Baths in Reading has been abandoned by the local Council as “too expensive to run”. Our local community wants to have it re-opened, and we want to use all possible sources, local and national, to get help or funding.
I’m sure it’s a common story! From the goodness of your heart, could you send me a contact name and address of any similar pool that is going through the same process, so we can possibly get some guidance on the best strategy?
So far we have registered as a Community Interest Company, created a fighting fund of over £10,000 [obviously not enough rto run the pool on] and are urgently working up a business plan.
We look forward to hearing if you can point us in any useful direction, and thank you very much in advance. Philip Vaughan

Anne: Please can anyone advise Philip? All news updates on Post Page

Ray Ellis re Heene Road

January 15, 2017 at 8:32 am

via email I have just read with interest your entry on lostlidos.co.uk
I learned to swim in the Heene Road baths when I was a little lad at Heene Road Primary School, just up the road.
One comment and one additional fact if I may.
The baths are listed under the category ‘inland’. Is this correct, as the baths are mere yards from Worthing sea front?
It may be of interest that in 1984-5, when I worked for MGM Assurance who’s offices were built on the site of the baths (I have no idea if MGM are still there), I discovered that patt of the original pool with its original blue tiles still existed, forming part of MGM’s boiler room.
Yours
Ray Ellis Tonbridge, Kent

Anne: Thank you Ray. I have corrected the category.

Philip Vaughan – Arthur Hill Baths Campaign Committee

December 1, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Hello Anne, Just came across your website with story on our Baths, which we are fighting to continue despite Council’s imminent closure, announced – without any public consultation – for 18 December. I was the author of the 2011 Centenary Memoir which you quote extensively [no problems – glad it was useful to you!] and I’m now one of our Campaign committee. I shall keep you informed of progress in our campaign to defer the closure of the Baths or to ensure its survival otherwise – big steps forward are imminent.
Kind regards ~ Philip Vaughan
Please see post

November 10, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Anne: Thelma, I have some info. on Danson Park Lido on the website. Also have a glance into the categories section in the footer. You will see more in the location of London Area. Please let me know if any of my information is used. Thank you

November 7, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I have added a list and special page for Lidos not included. These have been recently searched for on the Lost Lidos site. Your information or additional Lidos deserving a mention would be most welcome for others to share.

Ernest Hall re Mitcham Pool

October 24, 2016 at 9:52 am

via email Hi Anne I was having a great time looking through your website at some of the pools I used to swim at, but I couldn’t find were Mitcham Pool on London Road Mitcham and Wimbledon Pool.
I would appreciate anything including history and photos you may have on these pools.
Thanks
Ernie

Thelma Wilkes re Danson Park

October 19, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Via email A Plea from Thelma – Could you please tell me where I can obtain any information about Danson park lido at Welling during the years 1939 until 1946 for a project I am working on,also were there any other lidos in the area.
Thanking you for your attention
Thelma Wilkes

Hank Webster re Minehead

October 19, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Via email – Today I was having a debate with someone about Minehead Lido which led me to your page.
As a child growing up in Watchet , it was a very rare treat for me to go to Minehead on the bus as neither of my parents used to drive.
My most memorable time of visiting the lido was in the very hot summer of 1976, as you can imagine it was packed to the rafters.
I was hoping to find out what year the Lido closed , on your page you say it closed in the late 80’s.
I have to disagree.
I used to be a pupil at Minehead upper school, my friends and I used to spend more time in the derelict Lido than we did at school.
It was the perfect den for skiving school, as it was hidden out of the way of the general public and more importantly the local constabulary .
We left school in 1981, so my guess is the pool shut down in the late 70’s.
I have very fond memories of the Lido for different reasons, such a shame it has gone.
Kind Regards.
Hank Webster.

Hi Anne.
Thank you for your reply.
After a bit more research, I found out that the Lido changed it’s name in the 80’s to Aquasplash, which I had never heard of, as I left Somerset in 1982.
So It looks like they built it up after the place laid derelict for a few years.
Aquasplash closed in 2008 and was later demolished in 2009.
All the best.
Hank

Anne: Can anyone join this debate?

Message from Mark Ling

October 19, 2016 at 7:31 am

Broomhill has the light
Nice images

Editor

September 20, 2016 at 11:39 am

Who remembers the lovely aquatic shows at Bournemouth Baths?https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4NTAV_bournemouth-history-waterfront?guid=a1b38e02-fd96-4db7-beb8-422e482df7e2

Went down memory lane a month ago. Now an open air entertainment centre

Mark Ling

September 20, 2016 at 9:06 am

Hi Anne,
Spotted your super website by chance, and very impressed with what you have assembled
Here’s footage from Broomhill Pool in 1947, featuring British and European Champion high diver, Betty Slade, the Leon Markson Aquatics show.
The film also covers Edwin Mason’s family day out at the pool in 1947, and James Sharpe’s 2001 short film “The Pool” about Broomhill’s closure.
Interested parties or supporters can keep up with our campaign via our website, Facebook Page or Twitter.
All the best.
Thanks & regards,
Mark Ling
Chairman, The Broomhill Pool Trust
Twitter @broomhillpool

J. Anna Ludlow

August 29, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Re Carrington Lido
Hello Anne
I’m working on my web-site (I always get distracted) and was noseying around the net to see if I could find anything more about my local – I was born across the cemetery from it and spent every minute I could there. I’ve dug out the odd old Newspaper article as I subscribe to internet newspaper archives and there is a society locally that holds some information – but I’d like to make this into a better feature of my life.
Do you know of any interesting information, architectural, historical etc. that might help to expand what I already have?
Many thanks
Anna

Editor: Can anyone help Anna?

Eric from Pond Hall

August 25, 2016 at 1:45 pm

By chance I found your website when I went to search for an article I had seen on the BBC red button about an old pool.
Which resulted in a look at the old pools on the site, some really amazing pools that have been built and unfortunately bulldozed.
In East Lothian we had 3 outdoor pools, Dunbar, North Berwick and Cockenzie & Port Seton
I’ve actually done a website on the History of Cockenzie & Port Seton Pond, which was built in 1932 and closed in 1993.

Is this the sort of thing that you publish on your website ?
Eric

There 2 outdoor pools still open in Scotland
Stonehavenhttp://www.stonehavenopenairpool.co.uk/history.html
Gourockhttps://www.inverclydeleisure.com/enterprise/GourockPool
More info.
Anne
There is a short grainy video of Port Seton on my website
the wonders of the web, another hidden outdoor pool still open in scotland that I discovered last night
Newcumnock
http://www.newcumnockpool.co.uk/, built in the 60s,

Dunbar
Dunbar was never heated and suffered from its location on the coast, well almost in the sea, the sea was often came over the wall
There is pictures on “Lost Dunbar”http://www.lostdunbar.co.uk/outdoor-pool.html
and while searching for the pictures, some videos,

Dunbar 1965
Miss Dunbar

Never seen this one until this morning,
Dunbar was even on “It’s a knockout”
“short film called brr, about the open air swimming pool at dunbar east lothian”

Editor: Thank you Eric for this superb information. I hope readers will enjoy.
I have tagged your mention about Portobello Lido on the actual website page on Portobello
Anne

August 24, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Helen. Very interesting. Sunbury looked a super pool. Sunbury as opposed to Sudbury on my site

Steven Beauchampe

August 24, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Here is a resume of Pools that Mr Stephen Beauchamp hs sent in to me:

Greater Birmingham area
Lost Open Air Pools (including Lidos, Outdoor Pools)

Brookvale Park, Park Road, Erdington (7th October 1909-1926)
Bournville Lido, Oak Farm Road, Bournville (2nd July 1937-c1972 demolished c1976; 1977-1987, demolished 1997) now housing
Bournville Men’s Open Baths, Linden Road (1898-c1936/7) now the Settling Pool
Cannon Hill Park Bathing Pool – now: 0/10; then 7/10 (1st September 1873; reconstructed 15th June 1921-1938)
Dartmouth Park, Devonshire Drive, West Bromwich (1887-)
Keeper’s Pool Lido, Sutton Park, Sutton Coldfield (June 30th 1887-1933; 1933-1961; 1961-March 2002) closed and demolished after fire, site now landscaped
Greswolde Lido/Pool – behind The Greswolde Hotel/Restaurant, High Street, Knowle, Solihull – now flats, (13th June 1936-cAug 1965)
Malvern Hall (or Park) Lido, Malvern Park, Solihull now 2/10, opened (c1944-c September 1982) now overgrown/derelict
Shirley Sports Lido and Swimming Pool, Sansome Road, Shirley – then 6/10; 8/10 (6th June 1936-1939) now offices
Small Heath Park Lido, Small Heath Park (aka Victoria Park) (9th July 1883; reconstructed 14th June 1922-1938)
Stechford Lido, Station Road, Stechford (August 8th 1964-1991) now Cascades leisure pool (covered)
West Heath Lido (The Bath Tub), Aldridge Road, West Heath (1st July 1937-1940)

Editors Note: I have added more information of some of these from Steve onto my individual lido pages.
Meanwhile a taster:
Small Heath Park Lido (Victoria Park)

“133ft/138ft x 72ft/85ft; 3ft 6in (or poss 4ft) at deep end. Oval in shape, was an extension of existing ornamental pool. (1.5m gallons of water per day. 14,621 visitors c1893). Reconstructed 1922 (£5,885)”

Stechford Cascades

“Stechford boasted four pools, amongst them the city’s last new public lido (located on right hand side of building in grounds landscaped by Jeffery Williams (Lawns) Ltd),. Lido (112ft x 54ft with children’s pool; 1ft 6in-5ft 6in) closed in 1991 (there’s still a lido café in the building as a reminder) and is now the covered Cascades Leisure Pool with 110m water slide, water falls, jets, bubble seats and spa pools. A sunbathing balcony, in place from time of building’s opening, later adjoined the lido. First mention of Lido at Baths Committee meeting on June 26th 1961 although it had been in the original proposals in 1955.”

Thank you Steve. Lovely

Judith Bruce

August 20, 2016 at 10:55 pm

What a\ great project. Can’t find any mention of the North Finchley pool I used to swim in aged 11 in 1947. Maybe it wasn’t a “Lido” – it was certainly a v.large open-air pool, though. Perhaps it is still there?

Helen Weathers

August 12, 2016 at 3:55 pm

I have enjoyed reading this site. Lidos are so much lovelier than the characterless modern indoor leisure centres. I remember going swimming as a young child at Sunbury on Thames open air pool (1935 to 1980). It gets a mention here: http://www.villagematters.co.uk/sunbury-matters/sunbury-matters-articles/2013/06/sunburys-islands

anthony mcdonnell

July 26, 2016 at 5:33 pm

There are 2 lost baths in widnes, the first one was on Waterloo Road West Bank Widnes, which ICI gave to widnes, and the baths that replaced it was on Kingsway widnes from 1963 to 1979.

July 24, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Thankyou very much for this Jo (Porter). I love Skegness but only knew of the Butlins pool. Thank you for your time and effort. Greatly appreciated and very interesting. WOW what a lido and what a shame it is lost. What stands there now. Oh it’s a great shame it was era of demise. It is amazing how today with the ease of Internet, thus ease of promotion, ease of collecting campaign groups together, how any lidos today lined up for the chop DO GET saved. Not all, but more than those born too early as most on my website. If you feel like having another go at telling us about the Lido please email me and I will publish your info.

@lidoguide

July 24, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Thought of you yesterday when I met a man whose father had given a high diving display at Rowheath lido about 60y ago.

Jo Porter

July 16, 2016 at 8:59 pm

I am amazed that Skegness (NOT the one at Butlins) doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywahere on this lovely site. I just spent about 45 minutes on a huge write up about Skegness swimming pool for you (built in 1932 – no longer with us). Unfortunately something went wrong and it didn’t post. I don’t have time to write it again today. Photos seem to be very scarce when I have searched. Usually it’s images of the Bytlins pool or the modern replacement but I did find these two photos. http://images-02.delcampe-static.net/img_large/auction/000/370/763/494_001.jpg

It really was a magnificent pool (110 yards long – just 16 lengths to a mile). I would love to hear other people’s memories of it.

June 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Thank you Mary. I have found a lovely article on Cleethorpes Lido (copyright)
Also a picture on Hunstanton Lido
Also I have added to the List on Pooling Lidos

Mary Farmery

June 10, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Really pleased to have chanced on your website, but disappointed that there is no mention of my childhood haunt, once said to be the biggest outdoor pool in the country, Cleethorpes Bathing Pool. Is this something you could rectify? Also my current holiday venue Hunstanton, which once had a somewhat smaller but equally well-loved outdoor pool.

June 1, 2016 at 11:10 am

Hi Jackie, Thanks for this. For those that may not know does OWS mean Open Water Swimmer?! A moving tribute and association with Ferndene Park Swimming Pool is http://www.rytonian.com/2015/02/09/the-loss-of-a-rytonian/

jackycandlish

June 1, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hi Anne,
I’ve been an OWS for about 6 years now and have taken a keen interest in the work you’ve done tracking down list Lidos.
I live in Ryton which is a village/suburb of Gateshead & close to Newcastle. I’ve been here about 35 years & when I moved here there was a lido in Ferndene Park. I recall swimming there not long after my daughter was born – she’s 29 in July. At that time the lido was usually only open summer holidays & staff were sent from Blaydon pool, Gateshead 2 miles away. Not long after that the council closed the lido & later dismantled the buildings filling in the pool. It’s now grass.
Someone I knew told me she used to go in every day after school in the summer.
Now I’m swimming outdoors it’s such a shame – I live very close to the park.
I’ve looked on the internet and found an odd photo
Hope this helps as it would be nice to see it as included in your list.
Thanks
Jackie

Malcolm Stringer

April 30, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Anne
I can tell how nostalgic you are, and found the photo of you mourning a scene of dereliction and destruction quite moving.
I’m just the same – always very moved to see anything old (especially Victorian/Edwardian) being destroyed. In particular railways, schools, public buildings, houses, pumping stations, mills, factories etc.
But the least we can do is document what was for future generations.
Regards,
Malcolm S

April 28, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Hi Malcolm
A bit of luck here. I have a Pathe Clip of the Mountain Pools. (Warlingham aka Whyteleafe) http://www.britishpathe.com/video/warlingham/query/Water+jockey+championships+at+the+Mountain+Pools+Warlingham+Surrey+Pan+across+outdoor+swimming+pool++lido+Shots+of+people+sunbathing+and+playing+in+the+

Malcolm Stringer

April 28, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Very interested to read your short article about Croydon Baths. I was a weekly visitor to the baths throughout the 1960s.
By that time, the outdoor pool had been closed for some time, but we could peer through a crack between the locked double doors from the foyer, and see the derelict facility.
I recall that the pool lining tiles were white, but it was being used as a rubbish dump – sadly.
I think I have heard about men only, but not outdoors from 1969! My Father may have used it during his youth.
Also read somewhere that it was irregular in shape, and have come across an aerial photo (1938) from “Britain from Above” (ref EPW056623) which includes the baths lower right. I think it very much bears that out.
Forgot to mention also. If you look on the above website, “Britain from Above” there are some excellent aerial photos also of Purley Way pool.
Something less famous was the MOUNTAIN POOL (or pools) in Whyteleafe Surrey. I think they closed at start of WW2 and never reopened. They have subsequently been redeveloped as offices, factory or retail. Has anyone heard of this pool/s
I do however have very happy memories of Purley Way, which I went to several times in 1970 (13 at time – that dates me!). Never managed to get to the bottom of the 15′ diving pool, or the top of the diving board. But a lovely day out for us adolescents on a hot summers day. Shame society and values have moved “on” since those innocent days!

Regards,

Malcolm S

Keep up the good research work.

Anita Woodhouse – The Malcolm Boyden Programme

April 27, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Hello Anne
We’re BBC Hereford & Worcester and our office is based right next to the River Severn and about five miles out of the city (as the crow flies) lies the old Grimley Lido site and on Malcolm Boyden’s programme, we’re looking into the history of what the Lido used to mean to people (my late mother used to tell me stories of how the wealthy would leave the city in the summer for an afternoon spent on the banks of the River Severn back in the 20’s and 30’s). Did any of your readers do this?

Paul Hart via Yahoo Group

April 26, 2016 at 7:35 pm

It’s been fourteen months since the Friends of Aldershot Lido (FOAL) formed to counter Council’s plans to fill in Britain’s largest freshwater swimming pool after the 2015 season, and turn it into a one-acre “splash pad.” Support for the group was encouraging, with 3,000 signing a petition in a matter of a few weeks, 2,500 liking the Facebook page set up to promote the Lido and 1,400 joining the “Save Aldershot Lido” Facebook group about the campaign.
FOAL has developed a very productive working relationship with Rushmoor Borough Council and many things from FOAL’s “wish list” have already been implemented: redecoration, new lockers, picnic tables, season tickets, wi-fi (limited), better publicity and an end to the practice of closing early on quiet days.
The pool will open as before for the 2016 season, and the Council working group has put a paper to cabinet proposing investment and improvements to make the venue more attractive to customers in years to come. There is a strong desire to keep the original outline of the pool intact, without ruling out the possibility of heating all or part of it.
FOAL is very grateful to the other Lidos (including Broomhill) who have helped us with advice over the last year.
__._,_.___

Tom Butcher

April 20, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Just a correction about the last lido in Derbyshire being Alfreton. There is actually still a lido in Hathersage in Derbyshire, at least it was still open as of Summer 2015 and I have no reason to believe it has closed since. The cafe attached to it – imaginatively named the Pool Cafe is a popular stop for cyclists in the Peak District and this is how I came to discover the lido.

Ian Watson

April 18, 2016 at 6:10 pm

My father (Ken Watson) was the Baths Superintendent in the 1950s, and we lived in the flat on the second floor until about 1957? It was a great place to grow up, and I and my sister more or less had the run of the place as a playground. I used to help with the slipper baths, and especially enjoyed having tea with the ex naval stoker who fired the coal boilers. I even helped the filter house hand roll the carboys of acid round to produce the chlorine for the water – pre health and safety! When older I had holiday jobs as a lifeguard at both Scarbrook Road and Purley Way Pool.

John Theobald

March 9, 2016 at 12:21 am

When I was a young lad I used to go to Stowmarket Lido. but alas I moved from the area in 1957. The pool itself was closed and a housing estate now covers the area. My mother used to tell me about going to the River Rat opposite. This had been cornered off and turned into a pool. If you read the article of Stowmarket Swimming Club you will see this is mentioned. http://www.stowmarketswimmingclub.org.uk/history.asp I don’t know if you want to investigate the pool and add it to your very interesting pages. Some of the pools in the south I have known of and it is great to see them at their peak.
The Croydon pool (Scarbrook Road) was next to where I used to work in the Telephone Exchange and I remember seeing it demolished along with the Courthouse.This was further up the road which had a dome that they took down and left a load of bird droppings that followed the shape it like making a jelly. Nice to be of help
John

Graham Anstey

March 8, 2016 at 11:45 pm

John Anstey was my father. (Central Pool Reading). Our whole family has many fond memories of the pool. We’ll be sad to see it go. Thanks for publishing this as it’s brought back happy memories.

Anne Brown

March 8, 2016 at 11:40 pm

When I was at Kings Norton Girls Grammar, in the early 60s, the Lido at Bournville was used by us during the summer term and was quite often very cold! I think the boys Grammar used it on different days.

Ron Blundell

March 8, 2016 at 11:37 pm

More Minehead Lido memories at:

Paul Mckew

March 8, 2016 at 11:34 pm

Used to go here in the 70s (Granville Road Baths Willesden). A sad loss. There was also an old victorian pool at Kensal Rise with the cubicals around the poolside.

Christie Birmingham History Forum

March 8, 2016 at 11:31 pm

hi,the area where the Birmingham Kent Street baths stood..there was 2,large swimming baths..all the land is now a huge car park..very sad..would lov to see any film footage of the baths photos..or any pics,outside..of the streets outside. the baths..regards..christy

Lorraine Lock

March 8, 2016 at 11:27 pm

remember the baths in Scarbook Road very well.

Earnest Dods

March 8, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Earls Court is/was a Great Exhibition Centre through and through. When its gone it’ll be just memory.
I remember there were two big floating rafts we used to climb onto on Hampstead Ponds and if enough people got on to one side it used to tip up in the air causing anyone on the high side to slide to the lower side then everyone would slide into the water and the raft would fly across the water and slap hard down on the water great fun unless you happened to be in the water when it came crashing down on you or if you were trying to get on the raft just when it tilted up and everyone fell on you you had to try and swim down and away from all those kicking legs I bet health and safety have put a stop to that! but it was great FUN something we are not allowed to have these days

Harriet Stokesby

March 8, 2016 at 11:11 pm

I remember when the queues on a hot summers day stretched from the Baths , all the way up Woodcock Street and round the corner.
The waiting time was for approx. an hours swim. The colour of the wrist band determined when your time was up, and another batch from the queue were allowed in.

Jacqueline Bennett – Miles

March 8, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I do my shopping there! I just didn’t realise the history I am walking over. Brilliant! Lancaster Cable Street Swimming Baths ? wow!

March 8, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Feel very privileged to have these medals on my website – Lime Grove Baths. Thank you John

John Francis

March 8, 2016 at 9:59 pm

One of my favorite memories of Minehead Lido, where we used to go while renting a chalet at Dunster Beach for 12 years running (1954-1966), was a gala one year. The memory I have is of a troupe of young women dancing like the Rockettes, singing “My Boy Lollipop”. It was wonderful!
Both my grandfather and father were members. I have my grandfather’s medal commemorating the opening of the Lime Grove baths with the following inscription: “Opening of Public Baths LIME GROVE, 7th November, 1907. H.B.C. Staff Race, E.W. Francis”

J Francis

March 8, 2016 at 9:47 pm

I want to say how interesting your project on lidos is. It will make a great book. Here is the pool I went to as a child: http://www.hilsea-lido.org.uk/ Such wonderful memories!

Pat Davda

March 8, 2016 at 9:44 pm

I remember the Gala Baths! It was a big part of my childhood in the 50’s and 60’s. I was the eldest of the ‘Newbold Family’, well known in swimming circles in the Midlands at that time. I remember jumping off the top board as a small, curly haired 3 year old I think, and swimming the whole length of the pool to the amazement of the spectators. This was pictured in The Chronicle the next week!
My Dad Tommy Newbold, a local Hairdresser in the town, used to teach the youngsters for many years at the Bath’s swimming club, before he migrated to Australia about 30 years ago.
I also remember the local dances there in the winter for the teenagers where we used to go on a Friday night, and yes, we had to be home by 10.30!

Pat Davda

March 8, 2016 at 9:41 pm

I’m loving looking at this site, brings back many memories. Thank you, Keep it up!

David Edwards

March 8, 2016 at 9:37 pm

I recently watched a film on BBC2 called Hindle Wakes which was made in 1952 and features a long sequence shot at this pool. 08/08/13

David

March 8, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Thank you David. I’ll look into this and perhaps other”surfers” will look out for this film” Much appreciated and very interesting to hear! concerning Blackpool South Shore Swimming Coliseum

March 8, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Apologies accepted Larry! Thank you for your eagerness to make sure facts are correct.

Larry Hemmings

March 8, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Very useful to have a place on the web for lost Lido’s. Thanks. However, I noticed this post:
Your entry on “This lively Lido”, was just called “The Lido”. Not really that important, but please can you get the name of the town correct! It was built in Ramsgate – not Margate. Dreamland had NO connection with the Ramsgate Lido. thanks.

Larry Hemmings

March 8, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Apologies, I just noticed my grave mistake re: http://www.lostlidos.co.uk/category/kent/ comments. Obviously an error, I was thinking of “The Ramsgate – Marina Bathing Pool”.
Here is one links: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6005.0
Perhaps you can add this to your list.

Sydney Gould Historian /Author

March 8, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Regarding Scours Lane Lido Reading.
“…The Lido had a marked off safe area for children to bathe and would have happy memories for many children from the Norcot Estates during the 40’s and 50’s…” writes Mr S.Gold of Reading. (sent via letter)

March 8, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Thank you. There is a Twitter feed on this site. Nice to hear from you

Raymundo Barnhill

March 8, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok.
I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

Erik Lemessurier

March 8, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Good write-up. I certainly appreciate this website. Continue
the good work!

Tony Wenderling

March 8, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I remember my mother telling me that the Harlesden open air Swimming baths stayed open all night as it had been very hot during the day and into the evening.
I don`t know what date that was.

March 8, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Lovely to hear Carol. The Newbolds were my sister Olwen and brother-in-law Tom, and actually taught ME to swim when I was 4 years old! (in the Gala Baths)

Carol

March 8, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I was taught to swim by the Newbolds in the West Bromwich new baths
I loved the old baths (Gala Baths) and the ornate brass and wood on the doors of the changing rooms.

Karl

March 8, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Oulton Broad lido still exists today.
It’s not been used as a swimming pool for some years but was used by surfers when they installed some water stream in it.
It can be seen from Google maps.

March 8, 2016 at 8:59 pm

My last visit to the site of the Lido it was still disguised within surrounding trees and very overgrown. I’ll check if the remains have been removed

Lynette Correa

March 8, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Outstanding story there about Malvern Park Lido? What occurred after? Thanks!

Carole Heath

March 8, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I don’t really remember the Purley way Lido as I moved to Wallington in 1977. But a friend remembers it well as a young child and has told me stories about how she used to visit it during school holidays. Going by the photos on this site it looked a really amazing pool. I came from East London and we had a lido in Victoria park which also has now sadly gone like many of the open air lidos. I think Tooting is still open. In my area of Bethnal Green we also had indoor swimming venues like York hall and Haggerston baths which were open in the early part of the 1900’s. They are still there I think but now they are sports centre’s with not only a pool but also gyms etc and other activities. I know that the old Purley lido is now a Wyevales but the diving board is still there.

Kevin Salt

March 8, 2016 at 8:49 pm

I lived there in Smethwick from age 5 to age 12. That would be 1954 to 1951. My dad Jim Salt was the Baths Superintendant at Rolfe Street and Deputy of the Smethwick Baths Department. I remember well the Post Office across the road because the parcel vans (Morris Minors) all had rubber wings to cut the cost of repairs.
Bert Owen was the swimming instructor and swimming club coach while I was there.

Norman Bullock

March 8, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Re Tynemouth Lido It’s nice to see pictures of it again showing the views from the cliff walkway I used to take our two girls there when they were little on Saturday mornings during the summer, back then it was still perfectly serviceable, but being so exposed it tended to fill with sand over and seaweed over the winters, like KM pool the council just neglected it.
Cullercoats that is mentioned is the next bay along, I remember the fisherman’s wives in traditional costumes used to sell their fish and mussels outside their cottages on stalls when I was a small boy.
Norman

Michael Hammill

March 8, 2016 at 8:32 pm

“I remember this pool (Tynemouth) very well in the 60s & 70s. Usually the temperature of the water never got past 52 degrees Fahrenheit. The summer of ’76 was the exception, it was positively warm from June to September. Great memories.
I remember a Town Swimming Gala probably 1966 or 67 when a girl got into difficulties. A teacher from Linskill School dived in fully clothed to rescue this girl. I think the teacher was called Mr Lee. Memories!
A terrible shame this pool is in the state its now in, thanks to North Tyneside Council.” Michael Hammill.

Sharon

March 8, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Sharon joined the site – she has found out! Re Malvern Park Lido Solihull
“Used to swim there in summer – my school was next door – would love to know what happened to it.

Jazzb

March 8, 2016 at 8:26 pm

I used to swim in this lido – Southampton Esplanade Lido – every summer

REAVJ

March 8, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Wonderful Days wonderful memories

Eagerdiva

March 8, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Do tell us more – love to hear

Norman Bullock Archivist

March 8, 2016 at 8:15 pm

I have been following your website for some time now and watched it grow from strength to strength, keep up the good work Anne!

Tahlia Pulliam

March 8, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Fantastic website! Does running a blog like this take a
great deal of work? I have absolutely no expertise in programming
however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
Anyhow, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
I know this is off topic but I just had to ask.
Many thanks!

John Pipes

March 8, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Are you aware of the lido’s that were in Nottingham, Bullwell and Carrington.
Any info would be good

Enquirer for Carlyon Beach

March 8, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Carlyon Beach – once glorious, but now??… See on u-tube. Click Link

Jenny Landreth

March 8, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Couldn’t resist drawing attention to this one! Thank you Jenny Landreth for your Tweet to your followers

Added to “Showtime” page

Lidos Yahoo Group Shepton Mallet

March 8, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Read here Uncertain news about Shepton Mallet Lido

Oliver Merrington of http://www.lidos.org.uk

Alan A Michalski

March 8, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog!

March 8, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Anne’s note: Initially cannot find specific info on Berkhamstead pool, or pin point whereabouts. Can come under many locations within the area. Little Gaddeston???
There is a link to Deer Leap on the pooling lidos page. Anyone help?

Contributor

March 8, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Berkhamstead Pool

Many thanks for the contact and it looks like a very interesting site.

The open air pool in Berkhamstead was certainly part of my youth in the early 60s. I even had a summer season ticket for a couple of years. When I went back to Berkhamstead about 10 years ago, there was absolutely nothing left on the site as far as I could see.

Interestingly this is only a few miles away from the Deer Leap pool in Ringshall which seems more well known. I went there a few times as well but the town pool was almost a home from home.”
Any further info?

Paul Hart via Yahoo group

March 8, 2016 at 7:43 pm

“As a child I had happy times at the Lakenham Pool in Norwich. I started
swimming daily at Guildford Lido in 2002 mainly because of its excellent
accessibility for those with impaired mobility. I soon realised what a
treasure the place is, and in 2009 when it was facing declining visitor
numbers, it fell to me to muster the “Friends of Guildford Lido” to
“assist” the Borough Council with the outsourcing exercise. Arising from
that role I learned about the important part Guildford Lido played in the
history of Guildford and of Lidos, thus developed an interest in other Lidos
too, though unfortunately have only been able to visit a handful. I’m doing
what I can to promote Guildford Lido amongst others.”

Andy Smith

March 8, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Nottingham, where I grew up, had quite a few lidos which are all now gone. I remember going to Calverton and Highfields lidos, but there were others at Carrington, Bulwell and Papplewick. A quick google turned up picture of several of these…
Andy

March 8, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Can anyone figure this out for Sam?

Sam Bird

March 8, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Hi as a child in the 50s i used to catch frogs and newts in an old Lido it was blue brick with steps going down and an outlet pipe. It was situated behind St Mary’s Church Selly Oak Birmingham in fields between Lodge Hill Road and Weoley Park Road. I was wondering if you had any information on this. If so i would be very grateful to hear from you.many thanks Sam.

A snip of just a few of the Lidos featured

ChatClick here to chat!+