Category : NORTHWEST
BRITAIN’S GREATEST WATER STADIUM
This wonderful pool was opened 13th June 1934 by RT. HON. VISCOUNT LEVERHULME
The pool cost £102,40 to build and was said to express monolithic unity, with its bold and imposing effect of sweeping cantilevered projections.
The surrounds to the pool , and spectators seating area were paved with green granite and coloured cement.
There was music played by day, and underwater lighting for evening bathing. Spectacular aqua shows, with coloured floodlighting drew the crowds.
There were two cafe/restaurants. One at ground level being a large room with wood block floors, having two double door openings leading onto terraces overlooking the pool.
The upstairs cafe is approached by raised terraces, of modern design, embodying balconies and canopies cantilevered from the main walls. There was a committee room leading to a large balcony overlooking the deep end and competition areas of the pool.
The buildings were constructed at promenade level and possessed an imposing entrance.
Hours of opening were 7am. to 8 pm (or 9 pm) and cost 6d during the week and 1/- at weekends. One could hire turkish towels, ordinary towels, a costume and deck chair all for 10d. For spectators it cost the sum of 2d. Built out onto the sands with a southerly aspect, the pool and buildings occupied over 5 acres.
This magnificent and attractive Bathing Pool drew no less than 100,000 people within a week of the opening. Over a million people passed through the turnstiles during the first 15 week season.
OUTCOME: This beautiful pool was ravaged by storms in 1990, and despite much opposition, the bathing pool was demolished.
2004 – an open green field lies stripped of what once stood there. A Plaque and pictures in memorium is mounted along the promenade in front of the site.
Nothing remains on the site.