Heene Road Baths the Worthing Corporaton Baths in fact started out as a gymnasium with a small water works that provided emergency supplies during the typhoid outbreak in 1893.
Designed by Mr G.A. Dean it was in elaborate Gothic style, and in 1907 on the 15th June after reconstruction Sir Henry Aubrey- Fletcher M.P. opened the building as swimming baths. It was of adequate dimensions to form a swimming Club with programmes of entertainment and Aquatic Galas way into the 1900s. The forecourt was laid out with tennis courts until in later years when they became the car parking area.
The one downfall initially was that it was not large enough to host water polo matches and the baths underwent an extension programme featuring a larger bath. During the war years the small bath was closed and for it’s re-opening in May 1948, it had undergone major overhaul with fresh chlorinated and heated water. Many children learned to swim there and was also used for Commando exercises and training.
OUTCOME: The Baths remained in use until 1968, before being demolished 5 years later. The former recreational site is now occupied by a petrol filling station and the MGM Assurance office block.
The site is situated 200 yds up from the beach which is off to the right
It looked a beautifully architecturally designed building. How many remember these baths? Any tip offs?